Photo: Lauren Hall, Chuck Hammons, Jen O'Brien, Kaylee Ohsiek and Lance Samples attended the Region 7 National Orientation Directors Association (NODA) conference in 2011.
The "Miami Leadership Commitment" is based on Miami's tradition of educating "men and women for responsible, informed citizenship, as well as meaningful employment." (Miami University Mission Statement) Leadership is a mutual influence relationship (Rost, 1993) where people work together to improve or change something to their mutual benefit.
The nine shared values which form the foundation of the Miami Leadership Commitment are:
• Being active in the campus community and beyond
The Office of Student Activities and Orientation hosts Leadership Development Sessions for students involved in student organizations or on-campus employment each semester. Find out when our next Leadership Trainings will occur here.
• Seeing potential within yourself and others
• Thinking critically and taking time to reflect
• Respecting the dignity of others and appreciating diversity
• Communicating directly and honestly
• Being flexible and open to change
• Taking purposeful risks
• Being responsible for your actions
• Encouraging others to live by these values